Sunday, February 22, 2015

On Being Alone



As I was reading a recent blog post from Marc and Angel Hack Life when I read a few lines that struck a cord within me. It read:

“But I don’t want to be alone!” you say.  Change your mind about that.  Be alone.  Eat alone.  Take yourself out on dates, and sleep alone when you get back.  By doing so you will learn about yourself. You will grow, you will figure out what inspires you, you will realize your own dreams, your own beliefs, your own stunning clarity.

 The reason this resonates with me goes back to my last blog post On Facing Your Fears. If you remember my first fear was being alone. So when I read this, I knew at once I was meant to come across it.

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly. I'm currently in the process, and have been for years, of learning who I am. It's hard, it's so hard and lonely almost all the time, but I wouldn't even bother if I didn't have faith that it will be worth it.

I've learned a lot from being alone. I learn what I like and dislike, what I'm willing to try and what I'm not. What I'm willing to compromise on and what I will not budge on. It's also taught me that I can be by myself or on my own, as far as friends go and to not be so desperate for other people's attention that you settle for just any group of friends. That's how you end up being used and abused.

So take the time to get to know yourself and build up that inner strength and confidence. Trust me, you're gonna need it.

Anyway, thanks for reading! :D

xoxo Alysia

No comments:

Post a Comment